"reccomended" version of RedHat?

Chris Wong wongc at math.ed.hawaii.edu
Tue Feb 6 09:46:10 PST 2001

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Marcus Patino wrote:

> I have trying to play with RH7 and it is rather annoying how they are
> changing a few file names here and moving other filesthere - other
> than that it hasn't been too bad (Just wish they would leave well
> enough alone)

RedHat 7 is irritating. Basically. The file changes are part of the Linux
File System standard so actually it's more standard.

The problems with RH7 as far as I can tell:

The C compiler is broken. It STILL doesn't emit debugging symbols for any
non-local variables. Or compile the kernel.

The C++ compiler is broken. It's more standards compliant, but not
compatible with anything else.

XFree86 4 isn't working well for my card (Voodoo3 3000). DPMS isn't
working worth a damn. There is a problem switching back and forth between
the kVM and the scroll mouse not working... that could be normal.

Updating to KDE2 isn't very wise. KDE2 is nice, but there's a problem with
artsd (the sound daemon).

On the flip side, the RedHat network is pretty sweet.

So, now RedHat finally catches up to Debian.

If absolute stability is necessary, use RedHat 6.2 (in the RedHat family,
I'm not too familiar with non-RedHats)

If you need the newer software revisions, use RedHat 7 with all the recent
patches applied.

I would wager that character mode RH7 isn't bad. I do intend to use it for
a few installs because it'll be easier to keep up to date.

> >Should I take the plunge with 7, patch up my ole 6.0, or get something
> >in-between? Also, anyone else out there using a Linux server in a mixed
> >PC/Mac enviroment for shared file storage?

Once upon a time, I set up netatalk to do file sharing. I believe slashdot
had an "Ask Slashot" on the mixed enviroment issues. And there ARE issues.
C'mon, Macs don't have flat files.