"reccomended" version of RedHat?

Erich S. sharky at websharx.com
Tue Feb 6 00:43:52 PST 2001

Aloha Folks! :)

I'm planning on putting up a linux server in as a mutual file storage area
for a mixed PC/Mac environment. Aside from file storage, it'd be used as a
staging and test area for web developement (Apache, PHP, mySQL).

For lack of serious experience with any of the other distro's and wanting
to work with something that I'm familiar with I'm looking at using RedHat.

I've heard a few negative comments regarding the recent RedHat 7, and am
not so interested in the latest and greatest, but a good stable version
that can be patched with latest security fixes and run with a minimum of
fuss. I've got an old RedHat 6.0 on CD, but am concerned that it may be a
bit too old.

Should I take the plunge with 7, patch up my ole 6.0, or get something
in-between? Also, anyone else out there using a Linux server in a mixed
PC/Mac enviroment for shared file storage?

Thanks in advance!
	Erich