email program suggestion

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Dec 26 04:08:23 PST 2001

RESENT BECAUSE LUAU REJECTED MY MESSAGE.... AGAIN

On Tue, 2001-12-25 at 22:33, MonMotha wrote:
> Hum, beats my "Mozilla checking ISP's pop3 box" system hands down.  I
> would like to see your configs very much.
>
> Arrrgh, need to go to bed.  3:30 AM here, and I've been working on an
> AIX box that appears to lack a dynamic linker...what fun :)
>
> --Monmotha

----------------------------------
Below is my fetchmailrc file.  I originally generated most of this with
"fetchmailconf" (requires X) that makes it easy to generate a
fetchmailrc file, then I tweaked a few options by hand.  My fetchmail
runs as root in daemon mode in order to download mail for several users
on the same system, but you could also run it as an individual user, or
as a cron job.

/root/.fetchmailrc
----------------------------------
# Configuration created Fri Nov 23 23:15:24 2001 by fetchmailconf
set postmaster "postmaster"
set bouncemail
set no spambounce
set properties ""
set daemon 1200
poll pop.netaddress.com with proto POP3
       user 'warren919' there with password 'xxxxx' is 'warren' here
options no rewrite

poll mail.togami.com via mail.togami.com with proto POP3
       user 'warren999' there with password 'yyyyyy' is 'warren' here no
rewrite

poll pop-server.hawaii.rr.com with proto POP3
       user 'warren9999' there with password 'zzzzzz' is 'warren' here
# My brother's e-mail
poll mail.togami.com via mail.togami.com with proto POP3
       user 'richard999' there with password 'xyzxyz' is richard here

---------------------------------
Here is my procmailrc configuration to toss my incoming mail into
different mailbox "folders", and filter out some spam.  Note that
because procmail recipes are located within the user's home directory,
each user can have different filtering rules and even edit them
theirself.
/home/warren/.procmailrc
LUAU

:0
* ^Sender: owner-usclug-chat at zig.usc.edu
USCLUG

:0
FOCUS-MS

:0
FOCUS-LINUX

:0
* ^list-post: <mailto:reiserfs-list at namesys.com>
REISERFS

:0
ATARAID-LIST

:0
BUGTRAQ

:0
* ^list-post: <mailto:discuss at openoffice.org>
OPENOFFICE-DISCUSS

:0
XTERMINALS

:0

:0
KDE-LINUX

----------------------------
For the IMAP server, I'm using the imap-2000 package from Red Hat 7.2.
That package contains servers for POP2, POP3, POP3s, IMAP and IMAPs.
Are you still a Slackware user?  I think this package is actually the
UW-IMAP server, although most any server should work.

For the web based mail, I use Squirrel Mail.
http://www.squirrelmail.org
Simply download the tarball and unpack the files into a web accessible
directory.  Read the documentation.  It is fairly quick to setup with
the perl console setup script, but pay careful attention to the IMAP
server quirk handler.

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com