email program suggestion

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Tue Dec 25 23:35:05 PST 2001

On Mon, 2001-12-24 at 08:25, epsas at inflicted.net wrote:
> Fetchmail is the best option for checking multiple email accounts - it lets you receive email into your local spool.  That coupled with procmail and a good mail reader like mutt is what I use for managing my email.  Graphical front-ends are nice and all, but useless for serious email processing.  Stay away from Pine, it may be easy to use, but it is not very configurable.
>

> On Sun, Dec 23, 2001 at 06:18:35PM -1000, Rodney K wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > can anyone suggest a good email program for checking multiple email
> > accounts? Currently I use evolution, but lately it's been crashing a lot
> > (freezing upon start-up & not displaying email folders), i'm not sure if
> > it is because of the amount of messages i have in my folders or what.
> >
> > Rodney

At home I use fetchmail to download mail from several POP3 accounts.  It
then goes through my procmail filters to throw mail into their
respective boxes and filter out some spam.  Then all of my mail is
neatly placed into "folders".

This same machine is running an IMAP server accessible only to my home
network.  I can then use any e-mail client in any operating system on
any computer, and see my same mail (including foward, reply, urgent and
attachment flags).

The machine also runs the Apache web server and the Squirrel Mail PHP
application, which is a web based IMAP client.  This way I can easily
access that same mail from work or school.

Anyone want to setup a similar config?  I'll post sample configuration
files if people are interested.