Digital cams & Linux

Rodney Kanno pepe65 at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Dec 24 09:44:35 PST 2001

Well lady luck must not be on my side this holiday season..although now I do get a different error message:

mount: /dev/sda1: unknown device

Just for the heck of it, I went through all sda entries, same result.

Rodney

On Sat, 22 Dec 2001 21:36:05 -1000
joel <jijoel at lava.net> wrote:

> > Well I did everything as you said and when trying to mount I get an
> > error message saying "mount: special device /dev/sda1 does not exist" So
> > I guess it may not work?
>
> It might not, though it may just require some deep voodoo magic. ;-)
>
> The 'special device * does not exist' error occurs because you don't have a
> device entry defined in /dev. We'll fix that by creating a few. Try this (as
> root):
>
> mknod --mode=660 /dev/sda b 8 0
> mknod --mode=660 /dev/sda1 b 8 1
> mknod --mode=660 /dev/sda2 b 8 2
> mknod --mode=660 /dev/sda3 b 8 3
> mknod --mode=660 /dev/sda4 b 8 4
>
> ... that should probably be enough. /dev/sda is the first SCSI disk;
> /dev/sda1 is its first partition; /dev/sda2 is its second, and so on. The
> usb-storage module makes a USB device look like an SCSI device to the
> computer. I'm assuming that the node numbers will be the same on your machine
> that they are on my machines...
>
> Then:
>
> chgrp disk /dev/sda*    # so you can read the device without being root
>
> Plug in the camera, turn it on, and as a normal user, type:
>
> mount /mnt/pix
>
> ...and keep your fingers crossed! ;-)
>
> --Joel
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to luau as: pepe65 at hawaii.rr.com

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.
- Tallulah Bankhead