mknod question <-Re: Digital cams & Linux

Eric Hattemer hattenator at usa.net
Sun Dec 23 03:54:47 PST 2001

Anyone notice that in newer versions of RH, mknod no longer takes those
retarded major/minor numbers as arguments?  You just say "mknod sda3" and
boom, it's there.  At least the installer works this way.  I always found
those numbers to be pointless and arbitrarily conceived, so I'm glad that RH
doesn't require them anymore.  I'm sure they're of some use to a programmer,
but not to a normal user.

-Eric Hattemer