Digital cams & Linux

joel jijoel at lava.net
Sat Dec 22 19:23:24 PST 2001

On Saturday 22 December 2001 04:21 pm, you wrote:
> > btw, My own camera uses CompactFlash cards (instead of MemorySticks). I
> > have a CF adapter that plugs into a USB slot, so to get my pictures, I
> > eject the card from the camera, plug it into the adapter, *mount* it
> > (/dev/sda1) to my filesystem (/mnt/pix ;-), and copy the pictures to
> > wherever I want them. Downloading pictures this way is really fast and
> > easy, if it'll work with your system.
>
> exactly how did you do this, i'd like to try it, but have no clue as to
> how to do it. I think i may be possible because when the camera is
> hooked up in windows, the memeory stick (in the camera) is seen as a
> removeable disk, you think it could work similarly in linux if i were to
> *mount* it?
>
> Rodney

If you are running a fairly new distribution, this may work to set it up
(note that this has to be done as root):

mkdir /mnt/pix			# create the mount point
modprobe usb-storage	# this kernel module recogizes usb drives, etc.

# create an fstab entry for the mount point, so a user can mount the drive
# this command will append the new entry to your fstab table
echo >>/etc/fstab /dev/sda1 /mnt/pix vfat user,sync 0 0

Then, plug in the camera, and as a normal user, type:

mount /mnt/pix

If it works, it'll treat your camera as a removable disk. You can copy files
to and from the camera normally.

umount /mnt/pix when you're finished, then un-plug the camera.

--Joel