Postfix help

Todd Lee todd at LANtech-HI.com
Wed Dec 19 05:22:55 PST 2001

I'm having some Postfix /DNS problems.  I am trying to setup a box
domain1.com but I want to also receive mail there for another domain,
virtualdomain2.net let's say.  The domain1.com mail gets there fine.  But
virtualdomain2.net doesn't.  It works internally,(I think) because I can use
pine or an imap mua on this box to send mail to virtualdomain2.net and it
gets redirected to a certain person, but if I send it from another pop
service, yahoo mail let's say, it doesn't make it.  I think this has to do
with DNS?  I use easyspace.com to do my DNS stuff, register name point MX
records and stuff.  I've registered both names and have A records for
www.domain1.com pointing to IP 123.123.123.1 and MX records for domain1.com
to www.domain1.com and have MX records for virtualdomain2.net pointing to
www.domain1.com.  I was wondering if this was correct also?  I haven't been
able to find much on setting up multiple MX records outside of your own DNS
box.  Is this better to do internally?  If so, how would I let the world
know to look at my box for DNS for these domains?

Is there a log I should be looking at to see if it even makes it to my box?
I don't know much about postfix or Linux for that matter, but I'm trying to
learn!  ; ) ( could this be a firewall thing? Or some security thing that I
haven't set?)

Problem #2 or 50 depending how you look at it ; ) Since the redirection
seems to work for one individual internally, I want the rest of the mail
@virtualdomain2.net to go to mainperson at domain1.com, but I can't figure this
one out.  I've set up the virtual table like this

Virtualdomain2.net  Virtually Hosted Domain
@virtualdomain2.net mainperson at domain1.com
one at virtualdomain2.net one at domain1.com

The one makes it, but not the catch all.  I kind of guessed at this so if
I'm way off please go easy, I tried to read as much as I could find, I
promise!  ; )

If you have any ideas please let me know!  Thank you very much!  I know this
is a long message, sorry...

-Todd

I was trying to make it to the coffee shop thing tonight, sounded fun!
Anybody know how it went?