HOWTO: PDF Windows Network Printer with Samba

Yuser yuser at hi.net
Thu Dec 13 17:45:54 PST 2001

Has anyone tried this?  I am having permission issues and I think I've
narrowed it down.  For Samba he uses "security=share".  This causes files
created to be owned by the defualt user nobody.  With "security=user" the
Windows/Linux user that sends the print spool file owns the file.  Samba
runs the printcmd script /usr/bin/printpdf as user nobody and nobody does
not have permission to modify files created by a real user.  I tried
various configs for the printer share and could not get the resulting
spool file to be owned by nobody.

What the print command needs to do, $1 is name of the spool file that was
printed from Windows, OUTDIR and DATE are defined earlier in the script:

ps2pdf $1 $OUTDIR/$DATE.temp
mv $OUTDIR/$DATE.temp $OUTDIR/$DATE.pdf
rm $1

Oh well.  I do not have a need to create many PDF's so I use the suggested
print driver and "print to file", I save this file on my already existing
shared Samba home directory and telnet in and convert it by manually
running ps2pdf.  Switch back to windows explorer and there is the
PDF.  Not quite as slick but I have too many things that require
"security= user or server" to switch over.  Funny thing though, a non
printer share has options to get around these things, like force user,
force group and a few others, the printers do not.  Maybe I'll play with
that some more.

Either way it already works great