"Lord of the Rings" CG rendered on SGI & Red Hat Linux

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Dec 12 22:54:03 PST 2001

"Lord of the Rings" Computer Graphics rendered on SGI & Red Hat Linux
http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,38704,00.html

"But suddenly we had a number of days in a row where we'd come in in the
morning and there were still lots of things pending. And you'd have
artists coming in, sitting in their chairs and waiting for two hours to
see the results of last night's rendering," Labrie says.  "At that point
we were like 'We need to buy another chunk of processing power to get
through our nightly tasks.'"

"So Weta Digital has started building a wall of machines with the sole
function of rendering the Lord of the Rings images. So far Labrie has
purchased 16 dual-processor SGI 1200 servers running Red Hat's version
of the Linux operating system. By the time the films are finished -- the
first one is due out by the end of 2001 -- Weta will have 200 processors
dedicated to rendering."