Linux-related storefront?

R. Scott Belford scott at belford.net
Wed Dec 12 11:06:18 PST 2001

    What you could benefit from is the "branding" of linux.  There is a lot
of free press that the word linux generates and will likely continue to
generate.  You could attract some people to your location to peruse and buy
some notable nicknacks because of the name.  It's all about cash flow,
though, and merchandise sales are not likely to sustain your needs.  You'll
have a hard time keeping the price shoppers from buying your items at
Compusa.  I'm sure you know this.
    Focusing on business services could help.  A linux storefront with
one-stop hardware shopping might work.  Like Jeff said earlier, the chance
to buy a winmodem packaged with drivers is attractive.  Here you have added
the value of knowledge (appropriate driver) to compatible hardware.  Plus,
you will likely have a shorter return line for defective merchandise.
    An example.  I built many linuxservers for the POS customers of a
business I worked for this last year.  The value I added to the minimal
price of the hardware was my knowledge of great price sources and what is
and is not linux compatible.  Without any OS cost, the customer could buy a
server that was less than any advertised deal from Dell, etc.  We took all
the oem risks and the customer got a warranted machine.  People and
businesses pay for this, but I still don't know if you could generate enough
working capital to sustain a storefront from it.
    Including support for personal and business users would be good.  There
are going to be more people trying linux out.  A store makes it easier for
people to know where to go.  Most prefer that you come to them, though.
    I don't know and, well, no one ever really knows if it is a good idea to
open a business.  Crunch some numbers.  Make some projections.  Put together
a business plan and talk to a banker about some credit.  You may get some
good critical feedback.  You may get a loan.  It's a risk, but of course all
business is a risk, you just have to manage it.  One thing is for sure,
someone will do it and when they do they will be THE LINUXGUY whether they
are an idiot or a genius.  The business may not last, but the name
recognition will buy credibility.  Good luck and please be careful with it.

scott

success without humility is just an indulgence in arrogance