stupid lilo question

Brian Farnell bfarnell at gte.net
Sat Dec 8 02:29:25 PST 2001

On (07/12/01 23:13), Brian Hessee wrote:
This is also from memory, I keep a main linux and an experiment one on a
separate parttion, but I just killed the main (redhat) and moved debian
from experiment...haven't gotten around to putting BSD on the experiment yet.
I am kind fo a newbie, so take what I say with a grain  of
salt since I can't look at my file anymore.  What he has is right...for
soem configurations I guess, but mine was slightly different.  My
experiment partion was mounted on the main one and vice versa on
directory called '/alt' so I could look between the two for help
configuring if I had problems, if yours is simalr, where you do not
share a common /boot partition like this one seems to, then this one
will abort when you run 'lilo' after modification to install the new
defaults.  So assuming that the Linux that installed lilo is known as
Prime Linux, you need to update lilo under Prime and the secondary linux
needs the path to its kernel as something like "/alt/vmlinuz".  This
may not seem to make sense until you rememebr this config file is NOT for
your bootloader, its for the installer that puts in the bootloader.
Like I said, I'm still young, but this setup worked very well for me, it
also has saved me on occasion...when you have a system crash, there
nothing like having another working operating system to fix it from.
Another great thing you can do is keep all of your non-system files on a
third partion, so you can dump one linux and replace it at will without
having to worry about any downtime.  Also, technically, I guess the two
could share a home partition, but I always assumed this was just asking
for trouble, unless I had a different login under each linux.

Regards,
Brian