Newsforge: Making Linux look harder than it is

Brian Farnell bfarnell at gte.net
Fri Dec 7 04:27:06 PST 2001

You know I couldn't agree more, its more than a little intimidiating at
first to newbies, those guis can be a life saver at first, and you DO
learn your way a command line after a while.  Here is a common thing you
see on #linuxhelp or any newbie book, for that matter 'bring up
/etc/whateverconfig under emacs or vi.  Odds are this poor kid is trying
to change one word in a config file, or maybe just look at it.  Even if
you are without X, why not at least tell them about mcedit which is on
most systems?

Here is the biggest reason for GUIs and easy stuff though:
Its not the guy who can't learn it
Its not the guy who never used command lines
Its not the guy who never used Unix at all
Its my dad:  Programmed on punch cards, made a living on freelance
software design for a while, hates windows, yet I can't suggest linux or
BSD for him, why?
He works 10 hours a day and spends the rest of the time with my younger
brothers scout troop or softball leagues.
He would love Linux or BSD, but doesn't have 6 hours to figure out how
to get a soundcard running in Linux 10 minutes after his first install.

Anyway, among some there is an assumption that GUIs and the like are for
people who are too lazy or stupid to learn, but I've got a stack of
punchcards and a handbuilt, dad-designed computer on in a steel case
with circuit boards I watched being made from the mid 70s to prove them wrong,
 and I think we should do more as a community to 'share the wealth'.
Regards,
Brian