Virtual Mail Domains With Sendmail

John Johnson jsj at amagata.com
Wed Dec 26 11:21:31 PST 2001

I have just installed Red Hat Linux 7.2 on a system and would like to set
up the system to handle mail for a couple domains I have. I have RTFM and
done what I thought I should, but still seem unable to send mail to the
domains. The guides I used were:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.2-Manual/ref-guide/s1-email-sendmail.html

and
http://www.sendmail.org/virtual-hosting.html
After installing RH 7.2 I modified the virtual user table by adding in:
myname at mydomain.com     myname
and then I did:
hash /etc/mail/virtusertable < /etc/mail/virtusertable
to process this.

I then threw in mydomain.com into the /etc/mail/local-host-names file and
restarted the service. However, when I send mail to myname at mydomain.com it
is not getting through. Of course, I could have the MX record not
correctly set up, but due to my inexperience with linux, I figured it
would most likely be something I did in the linux setup. I would
appreciate any advice I could get. Thanks!

--John Johnson