RedHat 7.1

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Fri Aug 31 22:48:48 PDT 2001

Did you try the "setup" program?  There are several useful tools there.  KDE
and GNOME have many configuration tools too.  There are several GUI
configuration tools from Red Hat themself like Control Panel, but I haven't
used them in years so I don't know much about them.  You can also install
"linuxconf" that is not in the default install of Red Hat.  Look at CD 2 for
gnome-linuxconf*.rpm and linuxconf*.rpm.  Install those packages and try the
Gnome version of linuxconf.  Much better organized and with a better GUI
interface than earlier versions of Linux.

Also, if you have time, try SuSE Linux 7.2.  I hear that their configuration
interfaces are much better than Red Hat.  Mandrake's administration
interfaces are better than Red Hat too, but Mandrake 8.1 is where the
benefit over Red Hat will be much greater in that regard.  On the down side,
Mandrake's Cooker packages go through much less quality assurance than Red
Hat Rawhide.