Router + firewall + NIDS questions

beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Aug 26 02:08:46 PDT 2001

Dusty,

	Thanks,  I'll consider this as I am still compiling a shopping list.

Ben

On 8/25/01, 11:07:16 PM, Dusty <dusty at sandust.com> wrote regarding [luau]
Re: Router + firewall + NIDS questions:

> For this system I can only recommend OpenBSD.  Linux is great, but
security is NOT the first consideration with Linux.  With OpenBSD it is.
IPfilter, which currently comes with OpenBSD (ver 2.9) is awesome (one of
the best firewalls around free or commercial) and much easier to configure
than IPtables/Netfilter in Linux.  Snort is a great choice for IDS.  A 486
or (preferably) old Pentium running OpenBSD with 32mb ram and a 500MB hard
drive is all you would need.  I use an 85mhz Sun Sparc5 with 32mb ram to do
this same thing, plus mail, web, and dns.  It sits 98% idle!

> Having multiple NICs would be fine, a little more difficult on the
config, but nothing too much. Basically your system will just have to route
traffic to each interface and you will need to use bigger netmasks (ie
255.255.255.248 instead of 255.255.255.0).  But your firewall can control
the traffic much tighter.  If you don't already have the extra NICs, I
would spend the money on a cheap HUB or switch.

> For more info on OpenBSD goto http://www.openbsd.org and for info on
configuring http://www.nomoa.com/bsd.  The network install for OpenBSD is
pretty easy and I recommend it.