Router + firewall + NIDS questions

beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Aug 26 00:26:14 PDT 2001

Warren,

	Thanks for the point out to your guide.

	What you mention below is pretty much what I am interested in doing.
So, is this a two NIC + hub project, or can I run this as say a four NIC
project, one for cable modem, one for VALinux, one for the Sparc, and one
for the two wireless clients?  The reason I ask this is that I think it
may be easier to limit access by routing/firewall rules if I need to do
that.  For instance, I could easily firewall anything to and from eth3
from 10pm until 5pm the following day if I need to.  This would leave
that connection open only when the kids would be at home and doing
homework etc.

	You may also have some comments about what I wrote to Joe Paleafei via
separate reply.  If so, I would be interested to hear what they are.

	As I mentioned to Joe, this is a learn as I go project, so any pointers
you or anyone else offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all your help,

Ben

On 8/25/01, 8:02:52 PM, "Warren Togami" <warren at togami.com> wrote regarding
[luau] Re: Router + firewall + NIDS questions: