FW: Planning for ITEC

Ronald Willis ronal at aloha.com
Sat Aug 25 05:37:36 PDT 2001

Thanks Sandi for the excellent minutes to last nights meeting. It is
unfortunate that Deven wasn't able to make it. I hope all is well. In his
absence there are some important questions remaining, but nothing that will
cause any major setbacks. Since I came to the meeting with the understanding
that Deven was acting as the coordinator and had an agenda, I was quite
unprepared.

As promised here are items from my checklist that may or may not have been
discussed. Keep in mind each item requires effort, and some of them require
hand shakes and follow up thank you letters. I've done it all before, and
would be willing to guide anyone who wishes to take on any of these
additional tasks. I wont have a great deal of extra time since Ill be in LA
and SF from the 12th - 16th of September.

> Questions for Julie Parsons or Darren - the ITEC organizer...

First, Id like to mention that the questions to be asked of Judy and Darren
may have already been covered by Deven. Itec is a very very well organized
convention, and is well prepared to send out information packets along with
the tickets in advance. The information packets contain everything you would
need based on your purpose at the convention. The packet I received as an
Advisor Coordinator is different than the one an Exhibitor Coordinator would
receive. So if Deven is going to be out of town than it might be in the best
interest of the acting coordinator to acquire an Exhibitors packet or
briefing. If for not other reason than to determine if there are any time
sensitive or important documents to be filed out and returned to them.

>From my checklist of expo's past;

-Press Release
For archiving OS events in Hawaii
Send to media, schools, universities, and etc., to help increase visitor
ship. ...

-Archiving
Cameras, digital, slr etc.
Video tape

-Handouts
What is Linux - Most popular, always ran out!
What is Open Source - Second most popular.

-Badges
Tux image and attendee's name, in the past.

-Theme
A basic logical theme for the event. Excellent content of the press release.

Suggestions are;
TCO
Open Source and your business
Integrating Open Source

-Sponsors
Request donations of full boxed Linux distributions, for give-always
CompUsa
PDC systems
Royal Data

Most important, determine who will acquire early access the booth the day
before.

I hope this helps, the badges are great for walking advertisements.

******************************* snip ***********************************

On 23 Aug 2001 sandi at sandust.com wrote:

> Here is a recap of what was discussed last night at the ALOHA meeting in
preparation for ITEC.  Please read through it and let the list know if you
can help.

> Thanks,
> Sandi
>
> ITEC Schedule
> Wednesday September 19th and Thursday September 20th
> Convention Center Booth 537, 10 AM - 4 PM both days
> Thursday September 20th noon - panel on open vs closed source
>

> Booth Schedule
> Wednesday September 19th 10 AM - 1 PM
> Sandi Schneiderman
> Ho'ala Greevy
> Joel Hatch
> Warren Togami
>
> Wednesday September 19h 1 PM - 4 PM
> Joel Hatch
> Warren Togami
> Ray Leonard
> Charles Paul
>
> Thursday September 20th 10 AM - 1 PM
> Sandi Schneiderman
> Mark
> Warren Togami
>
> Thursday September 20th 1 PM - 4 PM
> Ho'ala Greevy
> Mark
> Buzz Caraang
> Warren Togami
> Charles Paul
>
> We need to have a minimum of 3 people in our booth during each shift.  If
you are interested in volunteering for time to spend in the booth please let
me know.  It would be good to have extra booth volunteers in case someone
can't make it.

> Panel Participants
> Derrick
> Deven Phillips
>
> Backup for Panel Participation
> Warren Togami
>
> Ron Willis is coordinating the panel and is looking for good open Vs
closed source questions.  The questions will be given to the panel
participants ahead of time, so they can prepare.  There will also be a
question and answer session with questions from the audience.  We need
people in the audience and could use a few more panel participants.  If you
are interested please let the list know.

> Booth presentations
> It was decided that internet connectivity is not necessary.  We will have
our own internal network.  It might be a good idea to use some of Warren's
wiki pages on the server to show as a web page.
> Linux terminal server/thin clients
> Samba PDC
> Live Install (this will take place at 11 am and 2 PM daily) (this needs
ownership)
> Backup prepared presentation - something that can be run through like a
slide show, in case other things are not working (this needs ownership)

> Booth Handouts
> We will have software CDs to give to interested people.  The following
people will contact vendors to try and get donated software CDs for the show
> Red Hat - Warren Togami
> Mandrake - Dustin Cross
> Sun - Star Office - Sandi Schneiderman
> We will also have a handout to give to people.  It will include some
information about open source and information on how to get on the luau
mailing list. (Warren and Ho'ala are going to be working on this?  - if you
can help with the handout please let us know)

> Booth preparation
> Set up will be done on Tuesday night September 18th, exact time TBD
> Buzz Caraang has a truck
> Patrick Smith has 3 folding tables and chairs
> Buzz and Patrick will bring tables and chairs
> Warren Togami will bring the computer equipment
> Ho'ala Greevy will bring table drapes
> Joel Hatch will provide a guest list book (this can come on Wednesday
morning with Joel)
> If anyone else is interested in helping set up on Tuesday night please let
us know.

> Another planning meeting
> There will be another meeting to plan for ITEC on either Tuesday September
11th or Wednesday September 12th at Mid Pac.  Warren will post the details
Maybe we should try for September 11th so as not to conflict with the HI
Tech summit on the 12th and 13th.

> Tickets to ITEC
> You can contact Bill or Ron to get free tickets to ITEC
> Bill Musson (221-9929, bmussen at hawaii.rr.com)
> Ron Willis (949-7313, ronal at linuxnetworks.org)
>

> Questions for Deven Phillips
> Dustin Cross will contact Deven and try to resolve some of the confusion.
> Is Deven going to be at ITEC?
> Has Deven already collected any money?
> Did Deven arrange for sponsors?
> Does Deven have the open source banner?
> Did Deven get software CDs to hand out?
>

> Questions for Julie Parsons or Darren - the ITEC organizer
> Ho'ala will contact Julie (jparsons at imark-com.com 503-968-8889) or Darren
and get the answers to the following questions:
> Is carpet for the booth being provided?
> Are we allowed to bring our own tables and chairs?
> What are our power limitations?
> What is the exact dollar amount for our fees?
> When do we need to turn in the money, who does it go to, and to whom
should the check be made out to?
> What time on Tuesday night September 18th can we set up?  Is it safe/okay
to leave computer equipment overnight on Tuesday and Wednesday nights?  How
late can we stay on Thursday September 20th to clean up?

> Donations
> Ho'ala will find out if we need more money or not.  We were able to
collect $240 last night for our booth at ITEC, thanks to the following
individuals who all contributed cash!  Joel Hatch, Patrick Smith, Robert
Hershberger, Doug Long, Jeff Wong, Ray Leonard, Kevin McNamara, Buzz
Caraang, Ho'ala, Ron Willis, Charles Paul, Sandi Schneiderman, Dustin Cross