Ultra 1, Best linux distribution.

Eric Hagen ehagen at hawaii.edu
Fri Aug 24 23:14:51 PDT 2001

Hey all,

I remember this being covered a while ago, but I'm hoping for some updated
info. First off, I have around six Ultra 1 systems that I need to setup
for basic monitoring and individual workstations. I am currently looking
at solaris 8 10/100 CD's, and also downloading the 8-4-01 iso's from Sun.
Just for a complete picture, I would like to look at one or two
distributions of linux that will work well on a Ultra 1 for a basic
workstation setup. (SSH out to servers, with a nice desktop). And be able
to meet some very strict security guidelines, (as in all cert advisories),
therefore no telnet.

This is kind of academic since the governmental branch I work for has a
hard on AGAINST linux, I just want to be able to show the alternatives and
then point out its against policy. :-)
Hey, I got a Sunday to expand my knowledge base.

Any good pointers, and no flame wars, the delete key is one heavily used
key on my system.

Eric Hagen                  "Sometimes we get lost in the darkness,
ehagen at Hawaii.Edu	     the dreamers learn to steer by the stars..."
			    "You fight for something because it is good.
	 				Not because it stands to succeed."