Caldera OpenUnix 8

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Sun Aug 19 10:54:25 PDT 2001

Caldera was one of the first companies (when it was a division of Novell)
that ever recognized the potential of Linux--even before Red Hat; it has also
made numerous contributions to the development of Linux kenel.  Actually, the
Caldera division of Novell was trying to recruit Linus Torvolds before Linus
even began to write his MS thesis at University of Helsinki.  If you read
KDE's acknowedgement pages, you will find out that many developers at Caldera
also make a lot of contributions.  Personally, I believe criticisms about
Caldera without discussing the underlying facts may not be very fair.

OTOH, since Caldera follows the letters of GNU, I don't see anything wrong
with what it is doing.  In fact, I commend Caldera for promoting an
alternative, for-profit, business model for the open source community.
Things need to be changed somewhat.  At the present time, to the best of my
knowledge, no Linux company is going to get much VC.  Google is an exception,
but Google is a different story.

If someone from our isles puts together a set of scripts on top of
theopen-source distributions which make a Linux desktop much more acceptable
to the business community (say, law offices, accountants, dentists/doctors'
offices, etc.), and charges as much as the buyer is willing to pay, I am sure
he or she will receive our full blessings.  Why should we treat Caldera
differently?