Playing Audio CDs

Deven Phillips dphillips at viata.com
Fri Aug 17 13:51:39 PDT 2001

Rodney,

	This could make perfect sense if you are using KDE. KDE uses a sound
server (aRtsd) which ties up the dsp device. Normally, if you run XMMS,
KDE starts it inside of a program called 'soundwrapper'. If you have
upgraded parts of KDE, the kernel, or XMMS; you may have inadvertantly
broken or removed soundwrapper from being run, or the sound server from
being run. If this is the case, then sound for XMMS could be broken. The
acid test is to log out of KDE and into
GNOME/WindowMaker/Enlightenment/etc.. and try it there.

Hope this helps

Deven Phillips, CISSP
Network Architect
Viata Online, Inc.

Rodney Kanno wrote:

> yup, I have that calbe connected because it works fine in windows and the
> last time i used xmms to play cds (about a week) ago, it worked fine. Could
> it be that some of the updates i did (can't remember exactly what) messed it
> up somehow?
>
> Thanks,
> Rodney

Sorry if the spelling sucks, but my laptop battery is runn....