Memory Usage by KDE

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Wed Aug 15 21:01:53 PDT 2001

Thanks, now I begin to remember.  When KDE reports "used", it can mean
that the memory either is being actively used or is being cached.
 Typically I only have about 20 MB reported to be "un-used", I believe
most of the "used" memory is being cached, otherwise I would have been
paged to death.  As I didn't notice any system slow down, there is no
paging to the swap partition at all.

On the other hand, when my "un-used" memory decreased to, say, 3 MB, it
would stay at around that number, sometimes even increased, when I
loaded another program, meaning that a good portionof the memory
occupancy is only a leasehold, not a fee simple.  :-)

The Athlons seem to be doing a much better job in caching (remember the
Athlons have three pipelines vis-a-vis only one for P3).  This may
explain, though only partially, why the Athlons have a much better
performance for some Linux graphic programs such as Corel Draw.

Thanks a lot for your answer.