Dual Athlon Servers (The Perfect Server)

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Aug 8 17:32:46 PDT 2001

Over at AMDMB.COM we are using one of these monster dual Palomino systems,
1GB of RAM and Red Hat Linux 7.1.  It severely rocks... and so much cheaper
than Xeon based servers.  Our old server was a "slow" Athlon 1.2GHz with
768MB RAM.  Our uptime load averages were consistently around 3.00.  Now we
are consistently around 0.50 load averages, and nightly backups take roughly
25 seconds vs. 3 minutes with the old server.

We didn't survive a Slashdot effect 2 months ago with the old server, with
our load averages going into the 20's and the server overheating.  Now I'm
fairly certain we could survive a Slashdot attack. =)