Unix Jobs

epsas at inflicted.net epsas at inflicted.net
Thu Aug 2 14:37:31 PDT 2001

Dear Luau'ers,

Does anyone know of a company that is hiring Unix programmers or systems administrators- or, just as good, a resource to find Unix work in Hawaii?  Dice seems to come up empty handed (save for a sysadmin position that requires 5 years of Solaris experience, versus my 3, I'll see how that turns out)- and the Hawaiian job sites were just as much of a help.

I moved to back to Hawaii last month from San Francisco (I graduated HS here in 94'), where I was working with a Unix Consulting firm.  Everything was going fine, until the point when the stock market imploded, the dot-coms crashed, and with it my consulting firm's client base.  I was laid off with a letter of recomendation and a severence check - I then decided to head back to Hawaii to find a living.  From what I've been reading, I'm not the only person whose come back to Hawaii from Silicon Valley.

What I've found is that I'm either way overqualified for the positions available (not hubris, I've been systems lead on networks comprised of over 120 production servers) or the position involves schlepping for the military, which I am not particularly interested in.

But... I'll persevere - and I won't be ashamed to aim my sights low, in recognition of the current market for Unix geeks in Hawaii.

And... if all else fails...  I'm a good cook!

Aloha,
Charles