City of Largo, Florida w/ 400 Linux + KDE Thin Clients

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Aug 1 09:44:04 PDT 2001

Enterprise Linux Today: City of Largo Goes Live With KDE 2.1.1
http://eltoday.com/article.php3?ltsn=2001-07-23-001-14-PS

Absolutely horrible... only 230 users on one server.

---------

The City of Largo is a thin client/X shop.  We have 400 thin client devices
that support X, 800 total users, and run about 230 concurrently during the
heaviest part of the day... Previously, this function was done by the IXI
Desktop on SCO OpenServer, and then later we ran KDE 1 on OpenServer, then
Unixware.  The Friday cutover was moving all of these users off of Unixware
to RedHat Linux 7.1 and KDE 2.1.1   Because only KDE is running on this
machine, the performance is a good look at how KDE scales.

* It seems that we settled into about 11-12MB of memory per user on the
server.  3GB of memory has allowed us to get the 230 concurrent users logged
in without using the swap space.

* The dual-933 runs about 5-30% busy during the day with 200+ users on. Most
of the load seems to come from using the Pager and window management.

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com
Mid-Pacific Linux User's Group
http://www.mplug.org