automatically starting programs

Ronnie rlivings at hawaii.edu
Tue Aug 28 13:50:06 PDT 2001

I have another question for everyone.   Im trying to figure out how
to start and stop apache tomcat during linux shutdown and startup process.
This is what ive done so far.  I moved the startup and shutdown scripts to
 /etc/rc.d/init.d then in the particular runlevel (say rc0.d) i made a
symbolic link which points to the script kind of like this:

  ln -s ../init.d/shutdown.sh S05shutdown

then i tried adding the "service" by using this:

  chkconfig --add S05shutdown

but i got this message:

  error reading information on service S05shutdownt: No such file or
directory.

Am i doing this right? do i have to go into each runlevel (or most at
least) and figure out how to make a symbolic link to the startup or
shutdown script.

I hope you guys dont mind me bombarding you with questions.

thanks,
Ronnie