Explaining OSS to Normal People?

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Sat Apr 28 19:00:42 PDT 2001

On Sat, 28 Apr 2001, Warren Togami wrote:
>knows very little about computers.  She needs some basic grounding in the
>history, ethos and motivations of the Open Source movement in order to be
>able to explain the efficacy and power of Linux and Open Source Software to
>the readers of the grant.

If she wants to learn the ways of the free software and open source world,
why not have her attend one of your Linux install fest meetings?  Get
first hand experience.  One thing I learned about free/open source
software is that it is a hands-on domain.  You just can't get the full
benefit by sitting on the side lines.

>Do you folks know of web pages, articles, and/or books that explain these
>things in terms that normal people would understand?

I believe O'Reilly published a book on open source.

--jc
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org