Red Hat 7.1 - the good, the bad and the ugly

Jeff Mings jeffm at lava.net
Wed Apr 25 14:30:43 PDT 2001

After finally downloading the 2 CDs from a site Warren suggested, I've
spent a good deal of time moving from RH 6.2 to 7.1.  I performed a
clean install, rather than using the upgrade option, since that's almost
always the least problematic in the long run.

The Good:
KDE 2.11.  Mmmmm... pretty graphics, nice toys.  Xfree86 4.0.3 - now,
Bzflag (the cool 3D tank game) looks MUCH better.   When the new Gimp
started up, I couldn't stop smiling at all of the new features to check
out.  Lots of coolness all around.  Ping now reports fast ICMP echoes in
microseconds!

The Bad:
No matter what, I can't get MySQL to initialize correctly!  After
running install_db, and then running safe_mysqld to fire up the daemon,
mysqladmin flatly denies its running, and examining the ps output and
mysql log tends to support it.   Instructions followed to the letter.
I never had this kind of trouble when compiling it from source.  A few
other things (like the excellent LinNeighborhood) may not work with the
2.4.x kernels for a while.  Don't try to use the flashplayer included
with Mozilla.  It's the older version and doesn't work anyway.

The Ugly:
Vmware coughed up a furball when I tried to run it.  From their site:

*RedHat Linux 7.1 and the 2.4.x kernel:* Red Hat Linux 7.1 was released
on April 16, 2001. Currently, Red Hat 7.1 and other distributions that
use the 2.4.x kernel are not supported as host operating systems for
VMware Workstation 2.0.3 for Linux. Our engineering team is working on
this compatibility issue and we will release an update to fix it as soon
as possible.

Still, this release looks pretty good.  Just gotta get the kinks out.

-Jeff