FIREWALL SETTING

Ben Beeson beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Apr 22 15:20:38 PDT 2001

Jason,

	You may wish to try the 'pmfirewall' available from
http://www.pointman.org.  This firewall uses a shell script to ask you simple
questions about what you wish to allow access to on your system.  It uses your
answers to build an ipchains firewall that can be automatically started when
you boot etc.  I have combined this firewall with the 'portsentry'
and 'logcheck'  utilities available from the abacus project at
http://www.psionic.com.  Doing so will allows the machine to deal with
portscanners and provide e-mail to root or other users to advise about various
events that may be of interest.

	To be sure, there are other tools available, you could even use the
'gfcc' firewall configuration tool available from
http://icarus.autostock.co.kr/ to use a gui to configure a firewall.  Someone
else sent in the LUAU group me a perl script 'pwall' that makes a pretty good
firewall.  This is available from
http://www.linuxberg.com/conhtml/preview/71376.html.  I need to play with this
one a little before I use it full time to make sure I understand it more
completely, (I don't speak perl yet....) but it also appears to be a very good
firewall tool.  This is not intended to be an all inclusive list of goodies for
personal firewalls.  I am not sure a complete list is available anywhere.  For
me, pmfirewall + portsentry works very well for what I need on my home system.

Good Luck,

Ben