VMWare

Rick Chavez chavez at nortelnetworks.com
Sat Apr 21 23:32:33 PDT 2001

I use VMWare.  I don't remember the "Express" part in the name, but I assume
that's what I have, unless they have different versions.

Works great for me.  I use it for work and don't notice any performance issues.
I use it in full screen mode and  I'm using WinNT.  Maybe one of those things
makes a difference.  Also, I don't use it for games.  Just Netscape, xterms, M$
Office, Exceed, and a few other tools (ICQ, Remedy, Oracle Forms, Lotus Notes).
Not too CPU intensive.  Memory is more important to me so I've got it configured
with 256 meg, half of my physical memory.

One problem I have is that I haven't been able to get sound to work.

Another thing to note is that the WinNT side is IP tunneling and the performance
is still fine.

I do have a virtual, private network configured between the Linux and the WinNT
and it's faster than any real network.  SMB between the two allows me to share
disk space at speeds so fast you almost can't tell which side owns the disk.

Backing up the WinNT is easy since it's disk just show up as a Linux file.  I
just copy (and compress) it over to another system.

I've been using it for about a year, heavily since November and don't have any
complaints (except for the sound problem).  It's a real winner for me.

-Rick Chavez

-