VMWare

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sat Apr 21 16:34:45 PDT 2001

VMWare supports just about any x86 operating system with nearly perfect
emulation, but it is SLOW AS HECK!  I'd estimate about 25% of system speeed,
but even that seems generous sometimes.  You need at least 128MB +64|128 RAM
to run Win9x or 2000 under emulation respectively.  I hear VMWare is *GREAT*
for kernel development, allowing kernel developers to restart and restore
states very quickly.  VMWare doesn't support DirectX.

Win4Lin seems to have MUCH better performance at the expense of software
compatibilty, and it can only run Win9x within Linux.  Requires a kernel
module, and there is no DirectX here either.

Wine can be faster than Windows depending on the patches and kernel modules
you use.  Try the latest from CVS.  These guys http://www.transgaming.com
are developing a full DirectX API for Wine, currently developing it under a
fork called "WineX".  This means that Wine will eventually be able to play
many Windows games natively and at nearly the same speed as Windows.  Their
current WineX code already has much preliminary success, able to run
MadOnion's 3DMark 2000 with very few problems (check out their screenshots).
They will only be able to do this if the community supports this with
donations.  I sure plan on donating when they have their subscription page
up.  WineX code will eventually be merged with the mainstream Wine.