Linux on the desktop?

Ray Strode halfline at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Apr 18 18:56:50 PDT 2001

> I would just like to have my entrie desktop to temporarily have
> root permissions if I wanted it to.  Mostly the file manager, and
> the advanced text editor, or the menue edit program, In other words
> I would like to be able to do root jobs from my user desktop.  You
> can do it with the CLI, but can you get the GUI to switch?
You use KDE yea?  I'm not real familar with it, but these steps should
bring up a panel running as root.

from a non root terminal type
  xhost +localhost
then type
  su
  [your root password]
  kpanel & disown
  exit

This should (hopefully) bring up another panel, that any program you
launch from it will be run as root.

Btw, if you want to setup sudo, just do something like
   echo "cyberclops  ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL" >> /etc/sudoers
--Ray