FTPd and Redhat 7.1 ISO

Ray Strode halfline at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Apr 17 22:35:36 PDT 2001

> FTP has it's own set of flaws, in particular the requirements for a
> privledged port 20 data channel which requires the daemon runs as root
> after creating a connection.
Only if the server is running on port 21.  Data port is one less than
the control connection port.

> Yes there's passive FTP, but we're discussing the protocol as a whole.
Yes.  The protocol as a whole supports pasv tranfers and that solves the
whole problem all together.

> Active FTP has flaws.
True. As with all things I guess :-)

> And you can resume http connects in HTTP 1.1 IIRC.
> I'm not entirely too sure on that.
I think you're right.  Something like range or subrange or something (i can't
remember) goes in the header.

--Ray