Floppy Copy?

Griffith Feeney gfeeney at gfeeney.com
Sat Apr 14 18:40:39 PDT 2001

At 03:24 PM 4/14/01 -1000, you wrote:
>How would one go about making an exact copy of a 3.5 diskette to another
>3.5 diskette in Linux?  Command line or GUI?
>Does KDE2 have a tool to do it?

Use dd. Something like this. With floppy1 in fd0,

	dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/imagefile

creates a file containing a copy of the contents of the floppy drive /dev/fd0.

With a floopy2 in fd0,

	dd if=imagefile of=/dev/fd0

will create a copy of the floppy1 on floppy2. With two floppy drives you
could presumably do

	dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/dev/fd1

though I've never tried this. if="in file", "of"=outfile, of course. I've
never been able to make much of 'man dd', learned this from the
Config-HOWTO, section 2.4 of which shows how to make a boot floppy with dd.