Cisco and ARP troubles

Eric Hagen ehagen at hawaii.edu
Thu Apr 12 02:49:41 PDT 2001

Warren,

If you are dealing with Cisco outside and switches inside, you should
always be able to ping.  In most cases that is still handled on a MAC
address to MAC. If its not; then most systems allow you to do a MAC to MAC
test for connectivity and signal.

I would instead try to add a new "test system" on the same ethernet subnet
inside, running tcpdump to examine what is happening on the inside
network.

With all respect to your skills and knowledge, this really sounds like a
config problem with your internal NIC, or routing, or the firewall rules.
The easiest answer would be a sniffer on the internal LAN segment, or you
may be able to do the same with your switches depending on their
capabilities.  I use FORE, they suck, and it was not my choice. The same
result could be gotten just running tcpdump on your internal NIC to see
what it is recieving off of the LAN if you have it installed on the box.

If you don't figure it out real soon, let me know and I can hit up some of
my friends who will be able to give me a little more info from the
CISCO side.

Eric Hagen                  "Sometimes we get lost in the darkness,
ehagen at Hawaii.Edu	     the dreamers learn to steer by the stars..."
			    "You fight for something because it is good.
	 				Not because it stands to succeed."