Maybe it works?:

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Apr 11 14:13:35 PDT 2001

I am glad to hear you got it working, but please understand this.

That script has rules for INPUT, FORWARD, OUTPUT and possibly other chains.
Your computer is NOT a firewall, and that script sets rules mainly on the
FORWARD chain.  The FORWARD chain does nothing to your ruleset because you
are not routing packets.  You made it work by fixing an INPUT chain,
possibly by removing some restricting rule.

So... yeah it works now, but only because your current rules are no
different than without the script on the INPUT and OUTPUT chains.
Everything in the FORWARD chain is doing nothing but using RAM.

Also please understand that SuSE is no different than any other Linux
distribution using the 2.4 kernel.  There is nothing "state of the art"
about it beyond being the first to release a 2.4 kernel distribution, though
the installation and configuration looks much cleaner in SuSE.  That SuSE
firewall script will run the same way in any other Linux distribution (using
a 2.4 kernel with Netfilter included).

I am curious, could you type "iptables -L" and e-mail the chains that
output?