Solaris 8 Anyone?

Robert Green aloha_moon at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 3 16:12:00 PDT 2001

I think that might be the place on Mapunapuna behind
Wholesale Unlimited - Hawaii Computer Recyclers, I
think it was called.

Out of curiosity, how does a Sparc 5 or a Sparc 10
compare to an Intel machine for performance with Linux
or Open BSD? Is it comparable to a Pentium, PII or
Celeron?

Also, do they take proprietary memory, or is it
something standard that intel PC's would also use? I
might want to try out a Sparc box running Linux just
for educational purposes myself.

Aloha,

Rob

--- jay <jay at musubi.org> wrote:
> if they are, could someone find out for me?
> i'll be in back on island in two weeks and could
> use a sparc5 or two...
>
> =jay
>
> On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, mmn wrote:
>
> > Just a thought:
> >  there was an add in the Online Connection paper
> about a clearence sale
> > where there were Sun Sparc 5s and 10s with
> monitors on sale ($150-
> > $200). I went down there a week ago. They were
> unloading more sparcs
> > when I got there. They didn't have any cleaned up
> to boot up but I was
> > told that they give some sort of warrentee on ones
> they sell...with
> > Linux as the OS. Wonder if they are still there..
> >
> > ---
> > You are currently subscribed to luau as:
> jay at musubi.org
> $subst('Email.Unsub')
> >

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to luau as:
> aloha_moon at yahoo.com
$subst('Email.Unsub')