fetchmail & pop3

Ben Beeson beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Nov 6 22:06:01 PST 2000

Aloha,

	I use fetchmail for some of the tasks you describe, but not all of
them. I use fetchmail for retrieving all the mail for three accounts I host on
my machine.  I do this by placing the following entries in my fetchmailrc file.
(Please make sure your file permissions do not allow anyone but the superuser
and possibly the owner of the fetchmail process to view the contents of this
file because passwords contained in here are ***not*** encrypted.)

# Edited  20 Jan 2000.

set syslog
set postmaster "some-user-name-on-your-machine"
set bouncemail
set properties ""

set daemon 60     # poll once a minute

defaults proto POP3
        fetchall  # retrieve all messages
        #  keep   # leave copies of messages on server -- comment out after testing

poll mail.hawaii.rr.com
       user "POP-mail-user-login" there with password "your-POP-password" is
some-user-name-on-your-machine here

poll pop-server
	# put an entry for each user you retrieve mail for here
       user "POP-mail-user-login" there with password "your-POP-password" is some-user-name-on-your-machine here

You can set this up to poll more than one server by adding more server entries
to it in the poll mail.server and poll pop-server lines.  This should take
care of part of your questions.  Sendmail will automatically place the mail in
the /var/mail/$USER (or other as you may have set up) directory for you.  You
can use the sendmail ".forward" file to automatically forward mail for you if
you need to.

Sorting mail by subject/date/sender etc is usually a mail user application
(MUA)task.  See the docs for your favorite MUA to see how to do this.

You can use the linuxconf tool to setup sendmail to change the from
address to one that you prefer.  As an example you can make mail sent from
some_name at your.domain.com appear to come from customerservice at your.domain.com.
To do this, start linuxconf and select the config -> networking -> server tasks
-> Mail Delivery System(sendmail) -> Basic -> basic information and then fill
in the appropriate blanks.  Restart the sendmail daemon and that should fix it.

If you prefer, you can also edit the sendmail config file by hand, although
this task is not normally accomplished by mere mortals. The last time I tried
this, it took me several days to get it correct, so be careful here.  If you
elect this path, backup the sendmail.cf file and study the docs at the sendmail
web site.

Good Luck,

Ben