problem apt-get'ing debian source packages

Michael_Ferdun paix at konaboy.com
Mon Nov 6 22:09:10 PST 2000

well, i believe you need the right http or ftp references in
sources.list to get sources, note of course sources list doesn't grab
sources generally it grabs and install binary packages, so i'm not sure
what you mean by source packages.

at least i think of packages as being binary, but i grabbed this fwiw,

source is something that you download with the apt-get in potato; add
'deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian potato main contrib non-free'
to /etc/apt/sources.list; then update and use apt-get [-b] source
package-name to download the .orig.tar.gz, the .diff, and the .dsc, and
have them unpacked and patched.  Pretty cool. and oh, the -b flag
compiles and creates the deb, or (Don't forget to install dpkg-dev!)

good luck,

mike in kona