off-topic: windows 98 question (sorry!)

Robert Green aloha_moon at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 28 10:50:55 PST 2000

I know its off-topic, but this list is the best
collection of copm know-hoiw, and I know some of you
are like me, and afflicted with windoze in spite of
your best wishes--

I have a machine at work that is suddenly dragging in
slugsville all the time. I tried un-installing the
programs installed recently to see if I could clear up
the problem, and it still is dragging. (We had
installed one application, a virus scan update, and a
new printer. The printer was un-installed later that
day when I realized I needed a USB cable to run both
printers at once as we wanted to do).

Disabling the resident control panels on the task bar
does not seem to clear up the symptoms, either.

Virus scan with most up to date data files is also
negative.

The slowdown seems to occur withoyt any specific
programs having been run, and it seems to get worse
over time. A reboot seems to help, but the machine
slows down again after a few minutes to a few hours.

Can anybody suggest:

1) A log file that would indicate the most recently
installed and/or uninstalled programs

2) any suggestions or a a pointer to them as to how I
can check to see what background programs might be
causing this?

3) Anything else or anyplace else I should try and
check out?

Thanks in advance!

Rob