LAN Setup

Michael JA Miranda michaeljamiranda at juno.com
Sat Dec 16 11:41:16 PST 2000

I need some networking guidance...a place to start and some tips.  I have
three computers.  Two of them are windows and one is linux.  I also have
two roadrunner dhcp ip addresses (used by the two windows machines).
What's the best way to set up a LAN with the linux machine as a file
server.  I just need some advice that will orient me.  I have read about
private/public ip addresses but I don't have a clear understanding as to
how I will set up the linux machine to:

1) find the other windows machines (samba?)
2) assign the LAN ip addresses
3) essentially be central to the network while also providing internet
access (maybe I only need one roadrunner dhcp address)

My other two windows machines have limited hard drive space and I
recently installed a 20gig hard drive in the linux machine.  So using it
as the file server would be the best.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

linux amateur,
mike