[LUAU] reading password.

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Thu May 20 21:54:30 PDT 1999

On Thu, 20 May 1999, David & Max wrote:
>>For anyone interested in programming under Unix, "Advanced Programming in
>>the UNIX Environment" by W. Richard Stevens is a must.  Chapter 11 of this
>>book discusses exactly the topic you want, i.e. reading a password from
>>the console.
>Just didn't know there is a chapter about this.  Thanks again.

Well, actually, not the whole chapter is about this topic.  The chapter is
titled 'Terminal I/O', which is basically what you're talking about.
Section 11.10 discusses how to disable echo without doing a 'system()'
function call.  Doing a 'system()' function call when getting the password
is not very secure.  Obviously, if you're considering passwords, security
is an issue.  Section 11.11 discusses how to implement 'getch()' the UNIX
way, i.e. without curses.  But this is just the tip of the iceberg for
this book.

Good luck.  Sounds like you're on your way...

--jc
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org

--
-    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net