[LUAU] IP-Masq with on eth0

Scott Cooley scott at hi.net
Mon May 10 16:39:02 PDT 1999

> > This would be accomplished by IP Aliasing in conjunction with the
> > masquerading firewall.  However, such a setup is quite inefficient as
> > all traffic will still be broadcast throughout the subnet, unless you
> > used a switching hub.
>
> I believe the cable modem bridges. In that sense, it'll be.... weird. I th
> ink this discussion came out around two years ago... I'm surprised nobody
> has tried it yet. (I'm not THAT willing... ethernet cards are damned cheap
> now)

I have tried it.  In fact i started doing it this way before it became
evident that two NICs was MUCH more efficient.  Basically you do have two
interfaces, eth0 and eth0:1.  You just change your ipchains and routing
stuff to say eth0:1 instead of eth1.  But like people have said, this
requires each packet to go from the CM to the hub, to the router, back to
the hub, then to the LAN, which causes congestion.  Also it would seem to
me that this presents a security problem as your LAN machines are now
directly connected to the CM.

10BT nics are like $16 now.  just buy one.

scott

--
-    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net