[LUAU] ERS

George Toft LinuxAdvocate at iname.com
Tue Mar 16 15:19:06 PST 1999

Donovan Chun wrote:

> Eric S. Raymond article at www.linuxworld.com.

Excerpt from the above article:
"But most notable of all about this article are the things
Sheriff Ed didn't say.
He didn't claim that NT is more robust than Linux. He didn't
claim that NT
performs better than Linux running Microsoft's own SMB
file-and-print
sharing service. He didn't even claim that NT is outgrowing
Linux in the server
market."

Last Saturday, at LCC, we had a showdown (of sorts).  Uning
identical
hardware and the same LAN, we transferred a 25 MB file
between two Win95
computers.  It took 45 seconds.  Then we transferred the
same file
from a samba server to the same client used in the first
test, and
it took 30 seconds.  33% faster file transfers using Linux.

George
--
    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net