[LUAU] rrsmpcd.lrp and dhcpcd.lrp

Chris Wong wongc at math.ed.hawaii.edu
Fri Mar 12 14:21:15 PST 1999

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Donovan Chun wrote:

> I hope test your package when I finally get around to ordering my RR
> service in the next month or so.  I was thinking of doing the package
> myself, I'm glad I don't have to now.

Shhhh.. don't tell Oceanic. :)

but if you want numbers on speeds...

Testbed was a Pentium 200(?) w/ a nice PCI ethernet card. DOn't know the
brand etc, wasn't my setup. It was running Win95.

Direct to the cable modem I was getting up to 400k/sec (depends on if you
believe IE on it's download speeds... I assume the numbers are relative.
(tucows.oceanic.com)

I set it up on a 486sx/25 (no L2) and I maxxed out somewhere around
250-300k/sec

Upgraded that to 486dx2/50 and got around 350k/sec.

So... that minimum requirement of a Pentium 60 is overrated. :)

I'm quite surprised a 486 could handle that kind of bandwidth.

Then again, it's all in RAM... Imagine what two PCI and an expensive DMA
ethernet card would do?

--
    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net