[LUAU] Draft Mission Statement

Chris Wong wongc at math.ed.hawaii.edu
Wed Mar 3 10:21:33 PST 1999

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Mark Rassi wrote:

> 1. Promote the use of the Linux OS and Open Source
> Software in commercial and educational environments.
> 2. Serve as a gathering place for novice users and to
> facilitate and expedite their leaning experience by
> providing access to Linux users who have experience in the
> various applications and solutions that Linux can
> provide.

Okay.

> 3. Serve as a talent resource for professionals thereby
> allowing them to take on jobs that would otherwise be
> too large or complex.

I'm somewhat queasy about that. We're not a formal organization as such
and I'm somewhat afraid of people taking advantage of that for their own
profit/goals. One.. we already function in that capacity already, but we
don't make it official.

I primarily feel that perhaps Business users should not be our goal... I'm
more interested and we're more capable of handling, end users.

> 4. Promote universal access to information and ideas
> via the internet to facilitate a global democracy of
> intellect.

Here here. :)

Visionaries aren't we?

> 5. To hang loose with other nerds and consume mass
> quantities of beverages and high cholesterol
> foodstuffs. LUAU will provide a reality check for those
> of us who have read the manuals.

> PS. I think a vision statement is unnecessary.

ACtually... what's the difference?

Not too keen on those kinds of things.

I was thinking of keeping a short, simple Mission Statement. Well..
comments on it?

--
    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net