Was: [LUAU] NOMINATIONS Now: Off Topic - NT=No Training

George Toft LinuxAdvocate at iname.com
Thu Jun 24 01:04:10 PDT 1999

Eric Hagen wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, George Toft wrote:
> > (I would probably be impeached/tossed out on my ear
> > when my thesis is done, proving Windows NT-based servers
> > have a lower Total Cost of Ownership than Linux-based
> > servers.  But that's another story that I'll present
> > later.  And no, my name is not Benedict Arnold - the
> > key is in sysadmin labor costs, not OS costs.)
>
> Well that is only because NT stands for "No Training", and most executives
> believe that.  Though if you look at the down time of NT systems which in
> turn effect the productivity of the personel within the company, and
> factor in that cost, the cost of paying a decient salery for a trained
> unix admin is far cheaper.  Oh, and lets not forget all the other
> complaints about NT.  But this is a little off topic.

Do you have any references for this?  Please, please, please???

This is an important part of my thesis' hypothesis stating a
Windows NT-based server has a lower Total Cost of Ownership
than any other server, including Linux.  This is based on last year's
SunWorld Salary Survey that states NT admins make $7K less than
Unix admins.  Over a three year lifespan, a company will save
$21K in salary, which will pay for the $5-10K in NT licensing.
So now I need some concrete downtime numbers (references) to
show that NT doesn't crash and there is a savings over Linux.

I'm not talking about Joe Admin who says yada yada yada.  I'm
looking for anything that has appeared in print, or on the 'Net
that is reliable.

Thanks for any assistance.
--
George Toft    http://gtoft.dynip.com/LinuxAdvocate/

My name is not Benedict Arnold - even my license plate says LINUX
--
-    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net