[LUAU] NOMINATIONS

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Tue Jun 22 02:58:49 PDT 1999

On Sun, 20 Jun 1999 jwchris at juno.com wrote:
>PRES  Gary Sublett
>WEB    Doug Stanfield
>SEC     Griffen Feeney
>TRS     Ron Letson
>VP        Jimen Ching

Are you just throwing names around?  This is getting silly.  Though I
would like to put in my two cents worth for the bylaws, I don't really
have the time to be any of the executives.  Not to mention I have no
experience.  Once the executive commitee is elected, and the bylaws are
put into place, I'll volunteer to head one of the more technically
oriented project groups.  I think I can contribute more to that section of
the user group, than being an executive.

I think those who would like to take these positions and have the time to
dedicate to the group, should just nominate themselves.  Here are the
reasons why I think this is necessary.

1.  This is YOUR (you all's) user group.  Thus, you will only get out of
it, what you put into it.

2.  Waiting for someone else to take charge is usually the worst way to
get something done.  In my experience, if you want something done, you
have to do it yourself.

3.  Nominations are nothing more than popularity games.  I like democracy
as much as the next guy.  But sometimes, it is just inefficient.

4.  These are only puppet offices.  Since most of the decisions are done
through voting, the only thing these officers will be doing is writing up
the ballots to be voted on.

5.  Nominating yourself does not make you a snob.  It will not make you
famous, or sexier.  It probably has more drawbacks than benefits.  I.e.
whatever spare time you have to yourself, you'll probably be putting it
all into your office.

Enough poker faces, let's put our cards on the table and get on with it.
For those of you who don't know, this is NOT the fun part.  Let us try get
through this and get to the actual fun part.

--jc
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org

--
-    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net