[LUAU] Some programs for X

gsublett at lava.net gsublett at lava.net
Sun Jun 20 23:39:54 PDT 1999

On 21-Jun-99 Daniel Nakamura wrote:
> I just got X working on my laptop yesterday by running console as
> 1024x768, running a frame buffer, and using a modified version of the
> mach64 server.   Anyway, I'm looking at trying to make it more useful
> than
> just a console.  Right now I got a few network monitoring tools.  Also,
> how do I change console, so it starts the graphical login instead of the
> text login?

Daniel,

You need to change the default runlevel to 5 instead of 3. Don't know what
distro you using, but probably you should look for /etc/inittab. Edit the
following section:

# The runlevels used by COL are:
#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   1 - Single user mode (including initialisation of network interfaces,
#       if you do have networking)
#   2 - Multiuser, (without NFS-Server und some such)
#       (basically the same as 3, if you do not have networking)
#   3 - Full multiuser mode
#   4 - unused
#       (should be equal to 3, for now)
#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)

#
# Default runlevel.
id:5:initdefault:

HTH