[LUAU] Cable modem tweaks for linux

George Toft LinuxAdvocate at iname.com
Sun Jun 20 10:35:17 PDT 1999

Michael wrote:

> anyone know any cable modem tweaks for linux? like setting the rwin
> settings, mtu, and what not?

Michael,

I don't think so.  The 1536 MTU is fixed for ethernet.  I
may be wrong - I've had a bad track record this week.

Doug,

This question leads me to ask what the upper limits to the
speed are on the cable modem.  Someone in my office says his
56K line was faster, yet I can get 400KBytes/sec, which is
close to the practical limit of the 10BaseT NIC, depending
upon the site, net traffic, etc.  My highest ever was about
550KBytes (4.5Mbits/sec, or 45% efficiency), which is over
the 37% thumbrule for ethernet.

--
George Toft    http://gtoft.dynip.com/LinuxAdvocate/

In self-defense, all Microsoft Office attachments
are refused.  Please don't send them.
--
-    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net